Version 3.0 or higher
- dotCover integrated into Visual Studio
Start Visual Studio with the following command line argument: devenv.exe /ReSharper.LogFile.
- dotCover standalone
Start dotCover with the following command line argument: dotCover.Shell.exe /LogFile.
Log files will be saved to the '%Temp%\JetLogs' folder with auto-generated names, so empty this folder before you launch Visual Studio and start working with dotCover.
When working with dotCover in Visual Studio, you can enable logging by starting Visual Studio with the following command line argument:
- devenv.exe /dotCover.LogFile - The log will be saved to the '%Temp%\JetLogs' folder with auto-generated name.
- devenv.exe /dotCover.LogFile [path_to_the_log_file] - The log will be saved to the specified location.
By default the main log includes interactions between Visual Studio and dotCover as well as error messages from dotCover core subsystems. Also, the logs from the workspace host (external process for each coverage session) are enabled when the main log is enabled; these logs are saved separately to the '%Temp%/JetLogs' directory.
If necessary, you can expand log output by enabling custom core logs. In this case besides errors, all information messages from the selected core logs are recorded.
- While holding Ctrl+Shift+Alt, run coverage analysis of unit tests in any of the available ways or start a manual test session for the startup project.
- When the 'Coverage Configuration' dialog box opens, press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+F11 there.
- Click 'Expert options' at the bottom of the 'Coverage Configuration' dialog box.
- In the 'Expert Options' dialog box, select the 'Enable logs' check box.
Newly generated logs can be found in the following locations:
- Most of the core logs are embedded into the main log.
- Some of the core logs are stored as additional lgc*.tmp files in the '%Temp%' directory.
- The workspace host logs are stored in the '%Temp%/JetLogs' directory.
If you use dotCover console runner, add the following parameters to any of the commands:
- /LogFile=[path_to_the_log_file] - Enables the main log and saves it in the specified location.
- /CoreLogMask=[masks] - Enables custom core logs, where masks is a string with core log masks separated with the semicolon (;).
You can find the full list of core log masks in the 'Expert Options' dialog box in Visual Studio (see above).
Locations for custom core logs are the same as described above for dotCover in Visual Studio.