why is dotCover Unit Test runner inoperative 'suddenly'

Hi,

I have two development systems, a stationary and a laptop. Both running 64-bit Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2010 Professional with JetBrains dotCover 2.0 Full Edition Build 2.0.425.12

Both have been working fine with dotCover for months.

A few days ago in one of the systems, dotCover 'suddenly' stopped providing working options for running unit tests (NUnit).

  • There are no icons in the left vertical bar of the code window in the test code.
  • There are no "Run unit tests" options when right-clicking a test project in the solution explorer.
  • The menu items under dotCover | Unit Tests -> are greyed out.


I have tried:

  • installing the updated dotCover 2.1 - no change.
  • Removing and/or disabling all other extensions and add-ins - no change.
  • Run devenv /log to look at the activity log - nothing obvious there.
  • Run devenv /resetskippkgs - no chage.
  • Run devenv /setup - no change.
  • Run devenv /resetsettings - no change.
  • Looked at assembly loading with FusLogVw - hard to tell, but nothing obvious.
  • Looked in the event log - nothing.
  • Enabled viewing of tracing output with DbgView - nothing.
  • Visually inspected devenv.exe.config - looks ok.
  • Reapplying Visual Studio SP1 complete - no change.


Please note that I have one working, and one non-working systems. Both used to work...

Obviously something changed, but the only thing I recall that seems related at all is that I installed Visual Studio C# Express 2010 on the non-working system (since then removed - no change), and that I have Mono for Android installed and got some reminders about an update which at first appeared to crash Visual Studio when ignored, and then later I uninstalled that too - no change.

Are there any further suggestions except format the disk and re-install Windows from scratch? Any more logging mechanisms for example to determine why dotCover loads, but does not enable the unit testing runner?

Svante

2 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Ok, fixed. This seems like a really strange fluke...

After some searching, I found the directory %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\JetBrains\dotCover\v2.0\ExceptionStorage .

Here dotCover stores exceptions it encounters, and I found an exception there:

Could not load file or assembly 'VSLangProj2, Version=7.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

After some further investigation it appears that the GAC-copy of this assembly was corrupt! Anyone know how that can happen!?

Removing VSLangProj2.dll from the GAC and re-installing a fresh copy extracted from the GAC of the system where all was working finally fixed the problem.

That was a few very unproductive hours! On the bright side it was a good exercise in troubleshooting 3rd party software ;-)

To the JetBrains folks: This is a good example of the power of logging, kudos to you for logging - but please either log to an expected well known target such as the Event Log, or clearly document somewhere prominent where and how to find and use the logs!

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Svante,

Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for the info about your investigation. I'm glad that you've managed to solve the problem!
I've opened a request about logging howto: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/DCVR-4699.
You are welcome to track its status.

Regards.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.