Decompiling Assemblies which where compiled with VB

i just  decompiled an assembly of a project which was written in VB with the current EAP build and exported the result to a project. I noticed that some VB specific things where not translated to C#. For example:

  • The comments in code are marked with a hyphen "'"instead of  a slash "//"
  • Attributes are embedded in angles (<>) instead of brackets ([])
  • For Windows forms only the .designer.cs and .resx files are generated



Regards
Klaus

4 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Klaus,

Could you please attach here an example of the VB assembly, so we can easily reproduce this issue?
This is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

0
Comment actions Permalink

unfortunately i can't give the assembly out of house because it contains confidential code. But i will try to reproduce the problem in a sample solution.

Regards
Klaus

0
Comment actions Permalink

After creating a sample solution i've seen that the export result is more worse than i thought. I've done the following tasks:

  • Create a VB WinForms solution
  • Compile it in debug mode
  • Start DotPeek (dotPeekPack32.1.1.1.471.exe)
  • Load the .exe
  • Export it with "Create *.sln file" and "Open in Visual Studio" checked


The created project contains only links to the original VB sources and DotPeek has overwritten the original Form1.designer.vb file with the generated C# code. I did not see this the first time and fortunately my original sources where write protected. I have attached 2 files: SampleDecompile_Before.zip contains the original solution i created, SampleDecompile_After contains the result after DotPeek has created the project.

Regards
Klaus



Attachment(s):
SampleDecompile_After.zip
SampleDecompile_Before.zip
0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Klaus,

Thanks a lot for a detailed repro. I've confirmed this and opened a new issue in YouTrack here: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/DOTP-5134.

Thank you once again!

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.