Decompiling Assemblies which where compiled with VB

i just  decompiled an assembly of a project which was written in VB with the current EAP build and exported the result to a project. I noticed that some VB specific things where not translated to C#. For example:

  • The comments in code are marked with a hyphen "'"instead of  a slash "//"
  • Attributes are embedded in angles (<>) instead of brackets ([])
  • For Windows forms only the .designer.cs and .resx files are generated



Regards
Klaus

4 comments

Hi Klaus,

Could you please attach here an example of the VB assembly, so we can easily reproduce this issue?
This is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

0

unfortunately i can't give the assembly out of house because it contains confidential code. But i will try to reproduce the problem in a sample solution.

Regards
Klaus

0

After creating a sample solution i've seen that the export result is more worse than i thought. I've done the following tasks:

  • Create a VB WinForms solution
  • Compile it in debug mode
  • Start DotPeek (dotPeekPack32.1.1.1.471.exe)
  • Load the .exe
  • Export it with "Create *.sln file" and "Open in Visual Studio" checked


The created project contains only links to the original VB sources and DotPeek has overwritten the original Form1.designer.vb file with the generated C# code. I did not see this the first time and fortunately my original sources where write protected. I have attached 2 files: SampleDecompile_Before.zip contains the original solution i created, SampleDecompile_After contains the result after DotPeek has created the project.

Regards
Klaus



Attachment(s):
SampleDecompile_After.zip
SampleDecompile_Before.zip
0

Hi Klaus,

Thanks a lot for a detailed repro. I've confirmed this and opened a new issue in YouTrack here: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/DOTP-5134.

Thank you once again!

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.